Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Research Blog #2: Scouting the Territory

I still stand with my original topic of how scholarship athletes and college sports affect a students financial and academic responsibilities.  Basically, my question centers around the question: What motivates an athlete to succeed? I look to find what that motivation may be and in what aspect that motivation is used to succeed in (academically or athletically).  I found a lot of sources through the database provided to us by Rutgers and also through Google Scholar.  Some are scholarly sources, while others are different types of articles and even one primary source interview. 

Here are a few sources I found that seem like they can help with my paper.  I have a few more that I still need to read over and see how useful they can potentially be. 

Title:
Student-Athletes' Perceptions of Their Academic and Athletic Roles: Intersections Amongst Their Athletic Role, Academic Motivation, Choice of Major, and Career Decision Making
Source:
Mahoney, Michelle. Proquest LLC (2011-01-01) ISSN: ERIC-RIE0


Title:
Student-Athlete Wellbeing and Persistence: An In-Depth Look at Student-Athlete Perceptions
Source:
Kamusoko, Sibongile. Online Submission (2012-01-13) ISSN: ERIC-RIE0


Title:
The Transition Experience of First-Year University Track and Field Student Athletes.
Source:
Tracey, Jill. Journal Of The Freshman Year Experience Volume: 7 Issue: 2 (1995-01-01) p. 81-102. ISSN: 1053-203X




I definitely found some more ideas on my topic and some vital research that covers ideas very similar to my topic.  They will no doubt be useful for my final paper.  Some of the sources are actual statistical analysis' of Division 1 college athletes in regards to my topic.  I wouldn't say there are controversy over my specific topic, but there is definitely controversy over college sports and whether a student-athlete should be financially compensated.  I definitely want to touch on this aspect in my paper, but not focus on it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment